Sonia has been a Partner of Lynch Meyer since 1995. Sonia’s expertise is primarily in employment and industrial relations, work health and safety, privacy, discrimination and equal opportunities law.
Sonia has been listed in The Best Lawyers in Australia list for Labour and Employment Law for ten consecutive years since 2014. Further, she was recently recognised in Occupational Health and Safety Law in The Best Lawyers in Australia list for 2022. Sonia was Recommended as a Leading Employment & Industrial Relations (Employer Representation) Lawyer in Doyle’s Guide in South Australia for 2020, 2018 & 2017. She was also Recommended in Doyle’s Guide as a Leading Workplace Health & Safety Lawyer in South Australia for 2016.
Sonia advises clients on all aspects of the operation of the Fair Work Act 2009 and the potential implications of the new work health and safety harmonisation laws.
Sonia provides practical and pragmatic advice on all aspects of employment law including drafting employment agreements and workplace policies and procedures and advising in respect of termination of employment. She negotiates Enterprise Agreements and also advises clients on restraint of trade issues and breaches of confidentiality by employees. Sonia has represented employers in prosecutions under the Fair Work Act and has significant experience in dealing with disputes with the Fair Work Ombudsman.
As a former member of the Equal Opportunity Tribunal, Sonia has great insight into discrimination laws and regularly advises clients on all aspects of State and Federal discrimination issues.
She has advised and represented employers in prosecutions for breaches of health and safety laws and regularly advises employers on how to manage industrial and safety issues and deal with Government regulators.
Sonia’s estate litigation experiences includes acting for executors and beneficiaries, particularly charities and not-for-profit organisations, in resolving disputes over deceased estates.
Sonia advises aged care operators on regulations and compliance issues. She also provides advice to retirement village operators on contractual documentation and disputes in the Residential Tenancies Tribunal. She was Recommended in the Doyle's Guide list of Leading Health & Aged Care Lawyers in South Australia for 2023 & 2021.
Sonia is a regularly sought after speaker on industrial relations and aged care issues and has been involved in the preparation and delivery of a number of seminars to peak industry bodies in relation to the work health and safety harmonisation laws and privacy laws.
Sonia’s expertise is in employment and industrial relations, work health and safety, privacy, discrimination and equal opportunities law. She also has particular experience in estate litigation.
Areas of Practice
- Employment and industrial relations
- Work Health and Safety
- Estate litigation
- Wills and estate planning
- Aged care
- Retirement villages
- Commercial litigation
- The Law Society of South Australia
- Graduate Australian Institute of Company Directors
- Chiefs for Gender Equity South Australia
- Chairman, James Brown Memorial Trust, 2006 – 2019
- Director and Board Member of Novita Children’s Services Inc
- Industrial Relations Committee (The Law Society of South Australia)
- Industrial Relations Society of South Australia Inc
- Professional Development Advisory Group (The Law Society of South Australia)
- Lecturer in contract law studies at the School of Real Estate, TAFE, 1993 and 1994
- Council member, the Law Society of South Australia 1999-2002
- Member, Equal Opportunity Tribunal 1996-2002
- Board member, Heta Inc 1998-2002