Charles practices primarily in the firm’s Construction and Infrastructure team. Charles has significant experience representing large and small building companies, as well as home owners, in relation to a variety of construction disputes.
Charles was recognised in the Doyle’s Guide 2019 and 2020 list of Australian Construction & Infrastructure Rising Stars.
Charles has also represented clients in relation to a variety of other commercial and civil litigation matters. For example, Charles has significant experience acting for liquidators in relation to a wide-range of insolvency matters. These matters have included having the sole conduct of a large number of unfair preference claims as well as acting in complex disputes with respect to the conduct of directors and receivers.
Other experience includes:
- Successfully defended a copyright claim brought against a building company in the Federal Circuit Court
- Acted in relation to a complex matter involving the effect EOT and delay claims had on earn-out provisions within a sale of business contract
- Acted for creditors in relation to winding up applications in South Australia and interstate
- Acted for directors in relation to insolvent trading claims
- Drafted the first enforceable undertaking in South Australia under the Work Health and Safety Act 2012 (SA)
- Successfully defended prosecutions commenced by SafeWork SA
- Acted as counsel in the Supreme Court in relation to a variety of matters, including in relation to the proper application of the National Credit Code
- Instructed Senior Counsel in relation to a variety of complex matters in the Supreme Court
- Acted in numerous matters regarding the Australian Consumer Law
Areas of Practice
- Construction, infrastructure and engineering
- Commercial litigation
- Debt recovery
- Dispute resolution
- Board member (Secretary) of MacKinnon Parade Children’s Centre
- Member of South Australian Cricket Association (SACA)
- Member of Australian Institute of Credit Management