Charles is a Partner in the firm’s construction, infrastructure and engineering team. Charles was recognised as a Recommended Construction & Infrastructure Litigation Lawyer in Doyle’s Guide in South Australia for 2021, 2022 and 2023. He was also Recommended as a Leading Front End Construction & Infrastructure Lawyer in Doyle's Guide in South Australia for 2023.
Charles acts for a variety of businesses within the construction industry, including a number of large well-known builders and contractors. Charles’ work for such clients includes reviewing and preparing contractual documents, providing assistance during the course of a project and resolving disputes.
Charles is engaged with and provides advice with respect to issues at the forefront of the construction industries. Charles is an active member of the Housing Industry Association Technical Committee and is Vice-President of the Australian Institute of Building (SA Chapter).
Charles also has significant experience with respect to resolving commercial disputes, including significant experience in litigation matters.
In addition to the above, Charles is also a lecturer and course creator for the following courses at the University of Adelaide:
- Construction Law & Contract Administration (Masters);
- Construction Law and Contracts (Undergraduate).
- Preparing documents and providing advice with respect to large variation and extension of time issues with respect to security installation for large commercial development.
- Preparation of documents and providing advice with respect to multiple security of payment claims/adjudications with respect to security installation for large commercial development.
- Contract review and finalisation with respect to multi-million dollar residential development.
- Acted for contractor with respect to statutory charge claims (over $1million alleged owing) – related to multiple projects, including major Hotel in Adelaide.
- Acted with respect to dispute with contractor with respect to the Port Bonython Jetty, including assisting with the preparation of Payment Schedule with respect to payment claim of over $2million.
- Acted for engineering firm with respect to dispute in the Supreme Court of South Australia regarding a dispute with the Australian Submarine Corporation.
- Experience with respect to various property disputes.
- Acted for developer of multiple warehouses with respect to successful defence of claim in the District Court of South Australia (Harrison & Anor v Hancock & Ors  SADC 163).
- Acted for homeowner in successful property dispute with builder (Linga v C&N Constructions Pty Ltd  NTSC 8).
- Acted for large commercial builder with respect to long-running court action regarding the Alice Springs Hospital.
- More generally, Charles acts as solicitor and counsel (and instructs both junior and senior counsel) on various litigious matters in the:
- Supreme, District and Magistrates Courts of South Australia;
- Federal Court of Australia.
Areas of Practice
- Construction, infrastructure and engineering
- Contract preparation and review
- Commercial litigation
- Dispute resolution
- The Law Society of South Australia
- Housing Industry Association Technical Committee (SA)
- Australian Institute of Building Vice-President (SA Chapter)