Michael was recognised as the 2019 Lawyer of the Year for Construction/Infrastructure Law in Adelaide by Best Lawyers in Australia. Michael has been listed in the Best Lawyers' list for Construction/Infrastructure Law for the past ten years in a row. He is also listed as a Preeminent Leading Construction & Infrastructure Litigation Lawyer in Doyle’s Guide in South Australia for 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018 and 2017, and is listed as a Leading Front End Construction & Infrastructure Lawyer in South Australia in Doyle’s Guide for 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018 and 2017.
Michael advises builders on contracts and documentation, regularly gives lectures to builders on the law and sits on several committees at the Housing Industry Association. During his distinguished career he has become the trusted advisor and “go to guy” for many of the state’s leading builders.
In particular, Michael advises educational institutions and aged care operators on contracting, with a particular focus on building contracts and project management.
Michael was described as “an eloquent and talented litigator” in the June 2008 Australian Legal Business survey.
Michael also practices in intellectual property, information technology and technology law. He was recommended in Doyles Guide as a Leading Technology, Media and Telecommunications lawyer for 2016.
As a child he was forever dismantling things to see how they worked so it is no surprise that he was attracted to this area of law. He advises both consumers and originators of intellectual property and technology and regularly advises in relation to development, licensing deals, transfers and the registration of rights relating to technology. As a litigator he represents clients who find themselves involved in court action relating to any form of technology.
As well as these specialisations, Michael has extensive experience in trade practices law and he provides in house trade practices compliance training for a number of our leading clients.
Notable matters include
- A major design infringement case (with multiple appeals to the High Court)
- Major housing dispute cases before the Supreme Court, District Court and Magistrates Court
- Successful injunction applications for building and technology businesses alike
- Negotiating and drafting major international technology and software licensing deals
- Plan copyright infringement matters for major domestic builders
- Domain name disputes (an increasingly important area in the 21st century)
- Defending a company and directors charged by the ACCC with breaches of the (Hon) Trade Practices Act
- Commercial construction project litigation relating to failed pavements in the Northern Territory
Michael is one of South Australia’s foremost building lawyers.
Areas of Practice
- Construction, infrastructure and engineering
- Intellectual property, information technology and biotechnology
- Trade practices
- Commercial litigation
- The Law Society of South Australia
- Licensing Executives’ Society
- Intellectual Property Society of Australia and New Zealand
- Law Council, Business Law Section, Construction and Infrastructure Law Committee
- Housing Industry Association (SA) Regional and Executive Technical Committee